Minutes from the March 2, 2003 meeting held at the Log Cabin Banquet & Meeting House in Holyoke, MA.
Members present: Ann Chace, John Spivey, Tina Spivey, Jean Janotta, Andy Johnson, Diane Johnson, Lyn Scribner, Gull Reidy, Susan Winters, Alison Smith, Suzanne Natale, Valerie Surprenant, Leah Swanson, Diane Dodge, Alicia Campbell, Leelaine Picker, Claudia Reed, Suzanne Wood, Loretta King, John King, Nancy Gagnon, Gil Gagnon, Jessica Westleigh, Ed Jakubowski, Val Jakubowski, Debbie Adamczyk, Joe Adamczyk, Sue Schroeder, William P. King, Cindy King, Sarah Morcom, Celeste Morcom, Robin Gardell, Emmy Adasiewicz, Antonia Lake, Kate Viles, John Yarmac, Sheila Dolan, Pete Dolan, Dee Williamson, Joyce Leach, Wallace Leach, Wendy Dreyer, Karen Miller, Donna Hakala, Terri Altergotti, Joe Stoddart, MaryAnn Stoddart, Dottie Duclos, Donna Killam, Bruce Logan, Brenda Dean, Kathie Chouinard, Warren Robinson, Cindi Robinson, Heather Robinson, Sharon Ruppel, Pauli Haggis, Bill Haggis, Donna Johnson.
Guests present: Ethan Spivey, Rich Adams, Taylor Adams, Eric Gardell, Brian Rogers, Marc Belanger, Carol Casson.
Meeting called to order at 1:00pm by President Jean Janotta
1. Introductions of people in attendance.
6. Sunshine report – Jean Janotta: Hunter Atkinson’s cancer has reappeared.
.7. Event updates
2. Insurance: Jean reported that ASCA has changed insurance carriers so New England will need to wait a bit longer.
4. Membership renewal progress: Kathie Chouinard was very pleased with the response to the new renewal process using the cards, 201 of 237.
5. Voting on by-law changes:
Section 1.2 - Address, approved
Section 3.1.1 – Eligibility, approved; however need to modify the renewal wording to require current ASCA membership
Section 3.2.2 – Dues, approved
Section 3.5.2 – Lapsing, approved
Section 3.5.4 – Reinstatement, approved
Section 4.3 – Voting by Ballot, approved
Section 4.3B – Members Eligible for Voting by Ballot, approved
Section 5.1 – BOD Residence, approved
Section 5.4 – BOD Voting, approved
Section 6.4 – Expenditure Approval, approved
Section 6.7 – Move Show Coordinator section to 7.1.1, approved
Section 7.1.2 – Membership Secretary, approved
|Terri K. Collins|| Suzanne Natale
|Allison Creswell|| Nancy Gagnon
|Margaret Meleski|| Jean Janotta
|Carol Casson|| Diane Dodge
3. Use of rescue account funds – Sheila Dolan: Sheila explained there is a large balance in the ASCNE Rescue fund doing nothing. It is being held in case we have to support dogs that were placed as part of ASCNE’s rescue program. She suggested implementing a program that would use some of that money to support New England reps and dogs on a case by case basis. In some instances, reps end up fund raising for a particular dog because the national dollar limit has been reached. Celeste Morcom identified the need to keep a balance in ASCNE’s rescue fund since Robin Prouty continues to receive letters from the Vermont situation where ASCNE placed a lot of the dogs. Sheila proposed the BOD receive and evaluate requests for rescue funds for New England dogs with a cap of $500 maximum per request. If the Rescue fund drops below $2000, Rescue Show money would be used to bolster and maintain the account. Joyce Leach seconded the motion and it was passed.
4. ASCNE Thirtieth Anniversary pewter cups – Jean
Janotta: The BOD voted to purchase pewter cups to be awarded at all 2003
shows in honor of ASCNE’s 30th anniversary. They have the ASCNE
logo with ‘Australian Shepherd Club of New England 1973 – 2003’ around
the outside. They will be awarded at each show for the following:
- Breed: BOS, BOB, BOS-A, BOB-A, Best Pup, Best JrH
- Obedience: HIT-N, HIT-O, HIT-U
- Herding: HIT-Started, HIT-Open, HIT-Advanced
- Agility – HIT-N, HIT-O, HIT-E
- Tracking - HIT
5. WASCUNY Think Spring Show – Jean Janotta: Deb St. Jacques has contacted the AKC clubs and requested that Aussies compete first in the morning on 4/5 and 4/6 so if individuals want to then enter the WASCUNY trial later in the day, there will be no conflict.
6. ASCNE event sponsorship for National Specialty & Finals: The question of sponsoring a class or donate to the Overall Finals was brought to the membership by Pete Dolan. The discussion was tabled for now.
7. Golden Paw Award: C. A. Sharp of Fresno CA is the winner of the AKC Canine Health Foundation First Annual "Golden Paw Award". Sharp’s article, "The Rising Storm: What Breeders Need to Know About the Immune System," was selected as the top canine health article based on the judging criteria of clarity, information, and contribution. This article appeared in the May – June 2002 Aussie Times.
8. Achievements and Accolades - Jean Janotta